Thursday, 25 August 2011

That's a bit of me.....

Hello there!

I'm back with another CASE Study entry.  This week is the final week of anniversary celebrations - they've been so good it's almost a shame that they're over!  However, that does mean that there'll be some more awesome talent to CASE next week so I'm looking forward to that  :)

This week the challenge is to make something in your own style.  Sounds easy huh?!  Not so much!  I think I've become a little too dependent on challenges for inspiration!  Having said that, anything you create for a challenge has a little bit of you in.

I sat down with my pencil and sketchbook and this is what occured;




Black happened!!  I used to use a lot of black all the time but then I forced myself into the world of colour and I have neglected black a little ever since.

I love that tag/label shape!!  It's one of the die cuts that Kelly so kindly sent me the other day!  Well, actually, I traced around the die cut Kelly sent me and cut this one out by hand so that I could add the stitching.  The original has really pretty, but very small stitch lines around the edge but they were a little too close together and I didn't want to tear it so I used it as a template instead :)

Ordinarily I would've chosen red to go with the black and white, but I always go with red!  Hot pink seemed like a good alternative.  (It was going to be that or teal, but I didn't have any teal tissue paper so the pink won out!)  I made the flower from seven layers of scalloped tissue paper, scrunched them up and stuck a little black brad in. (split pin)  The photographs don't actually show just how bright that pink is - as always, it looks better in the flesh :)

For the leaves I stamped the flourish from the SU! Bliss set in Perfect Medium and then clear embossed.  I've seen lots of people embossing black on black and thought it looked great.  I'm pleased it turned out so well.  (You can just about see it in the photograph's, I hope?!)

A little hand written sentiment edged in black ink, some ribbon and a few rhinestones and I was done.

I'm surprisingly pleased with how the whole thing came together, but I await your critique  :)








Supplies:
Card:      White and black 220gsm; hot pink tissue paper
Stamps:  SU! - Bliss
Ink:         Ranger - Perfect Medium; VersaColor - Charcoal
Other:     Rhinestones; clear embossing powder; ribbon; Making Memories - metallic basics brad;
                    fuschia and black sewing thread

7 comments:

  1. oooh Sian!!! You have created a stunner again! WHAT a gorgeous colour combo and such a super duper fabulous flower! You should play along my challenge which is to make your own ribbon/fabric flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that flower is fab, I may have to CASE your colour combo. Great idea to use Top Note as a template so you could stitch!
    Kelly xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a stunning card Sian I just love that colour combo! The white label is just right to break up the black a little and the whole card shouts elegant and classy :)
    Bravo!
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sian, you can't beat black with a pop of colour! I love all the layering you've incorporated in the monochromatic layers and in the tissue paper flower. Thanks for joining us at CASE study.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a beautiful and stylish card, love the colour combo!
    thanks for sharing at CASE study this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous and chic Sian! What a great card! Thanks for playing with us this week at CASE Study Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! i am so pleased I stumbled across your blog... Some truly stunning pieces of work! Why don't you try for a design team? Bx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to leave a comment on my blog...it's appreciated more than you know ;)

I am afraid I have had so many spam comments that I have had to disable anonymous commenting - please feel free to email me on sianridley@gmail.com though if you're having trouble leaving a comment :) Thank you!