Wednesday, 17 August 2011

Viva La Verve - August Week 3

Hello there!

I'm back with my submission for this week's Viva La Verve challenge - I have finally caught up!

This week's sketch is by Shannan Teubner and it's a cracker!  I was daunted by it at first because, as you may know, I'm a 'less is more' kinda person rather than a 'more is more' person!  This sketch had a load of layers and I'll be honest, I wondered what on earth I was going to come up with!  I am actually quite pleased with how it turned out though, always makes a nice change!!

Here's the sketch;

Do you see what I mean?  Not me at all!  I was worried that it was going to end up a mess of clashing colours and layers, or look really block-like and rubbish!  Anyway, without a plan in mind I just started playing around and went with the flow and this is what happened.......



Ta da!  Where did those colours come from hey?!  Don't get me wrong, I like the colours, I just would never have come up with this in a million years - or so I thought! 

I started out by drawing around a CD for my circle shape (so technical huh?!) inked it with Wild Honey Distress Ink (it kinda looked like the sun for a while!) and then distressed the edges.  Then I was playing about doing some emboss resist which I loooove doing!  I always use the damask stamp from SU!'s Bliss set to stamp black on white backgrounds but I thought it might be nice for the damask to be the white part, so that's what I did.  I inked that in Rusty Hinge Distress Ink, edged with Vintage Photo and then the vertical piece is inked in Vintage Photo.

I made a card for the CASE Study challenge which was CASE of this card by Jen Rzasa.  I then realised that for that challenge I should've chosen something that Jen had entered for a previous CASE Study challenge and not just anything on her blog so I didn't end up posting it - I may do in the next few days, see how I feel :)  Anyway, my card had a butterfly as the opening rather than a hot air balloon as Jen did.  The butterfly on this Viva La Verve card was the piece I cut out of the middle to make my window!  I hate to waste anything!

I inked the butterfly with Broken China and Crushed Olive Distress Ink and edged with Vintage Photo.  It's matted on a creamy/ivory butterfly which I edged with Antique Linen.  I made some little antennae from a brass coloured jewellery wire and added some sparkly beads on the ends.  A few rhinestone and my butterfly was done  :)

I hope you like this week's Viva La Verve offering and I hope I've proved (to myself more than anything!) that I'm not just a one trick pony!

Thanks for dropping in and enjoy the rest of your day :)








Supplies:
Card:       White 220gsm; ColorBase Pastel Card - Chamois
Stamps:   SU! - Just Believe, Bliss, En Francais
Ink:          Distress Inks - Antique Linen, Vintage Photo, Broken China, Crushed Olive, Wild Honey,
                      Rusty Hinge
Others:    Rhinestones; jewellery wire; beads

1 comment:

  1. Love this sketch will have to give it a go! may not make the dead line though.
    You sure try this style more often, you've very good at it.
    Kelly xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to leave a comment on my blog...it's appreciated more than you know ;)

I am afraid I have had so many spam comments that I have had to disable anonymous commenting - please feel free to email me on sianridley@gmail.com though if you're having trouble leaving a comment :) Thank you!